Back in August of 2017 I happened upon a lovely project on Bernina’s blog We All Sew. It was an appliqué and pieced wallhanging called Vintage Ornaments. I fell in love with it! But not wanting to make the full size I opted for 1 ornament and used the framing patches they had in the original. A top was born.
Knowing I could not do the machine quilting justice I sent this off for long arm quilting. And received back a stunning piece with such wonderful interpretations of the negative spaces. I told her just to do what she felt worked for the design. I was not disappointed.
Once back in my possession it fell by the wayside due to health issues, and Chrismas sewing and knitting. I thought I might never finish it. All that was needed was trimming the backing/batting, making a binding, sewing it on, and tacking it down. Not even a day’s effort. But energy was not there and desire had taken a beating.
Until last week. Having to do binding for Grandma’s Sewing Basket I thought it ridiculous to ignore Vintage Ornament one moment longer. So I got it done. And now I can’t wait until Christmas so I can display it!!
The motif and patchwork fabrics are from my scraps, the backing and background were purchased for the project. I had to scrounge for the squares because I changed my mind from the original lime green to a yellow green. Which meant ripping and resewing. But it was worth it, because I love everything about it now!