Friday was cold and sunny, then cold and rainy/snowy, and I had someone coming to look at the carpet demolition Brutus did while we were on vacation. It’s a good thing he’s so cute! So I spent time in the sewing room and got some fabric prepped for cosmetic cases. I am making 2 for a soon to be bride/matron of honor and also trying to finish out family on my Dad’s side, my cousins’ wives and daughters. And another might be thrown in for the bride’s mom, a lovely lady who calls my niece DIL. So 9 more.
The weekend was for sewing facings and zippers on vinyl, attaching snaps, and finishing with binding. Facing and binding fabric choices are usually made depending on contrast and remaining fabric. I prefer the facings of the pockets to contrast the lining. If I don’t have enough of the outer fabric I will use a different fabric or use the lining.
The prep part is my favorite, choosing the contrasting fabrics. Quilting them depends on their patterns or lines. I thought maybe I would FMQ the pink floral piece, but my machine tension on FMQ curves is no good, so straight line quilting in diamonds or stripes was best.
Completely off topic, here’s a great tut for zipper tabs. Even though it is quite long and could do with a shortened version, it will help you make perfectly even and square zipper tabs.
My counter offer wasn’t accepted, so now I have offered the last amount they gave me. If I don’t get it there is another I’ve got my eye on. 🤞