Click on any photo to see a larger version
Thank you for the votes and comments! They helped me to see things I was missing. Rebecca hit on a method I use for sewing and knitting. Determining the value of colors. Here’s the value of each layout.
But, they are so small, how can I get a feel for the value? Look at what jumps out at you in each photo. In block 1 all the values are fairly equal. In block 2 a definite center star and heavy corners. In block 3 there’s more balance between the values. In block 4 heavy corners again. So, which one did I go with?
To keep everything in order while piecing I used my plastic baskets and notes. Sew the squares into rows, sew the rows together, add a white border, and in no time the top is done. A bunch of charm squares yielded an envelope back with zipper. The charm squares don’t really match the front colors, but they won’t be seen together so I am not sweating it. I backed it with a Fat Quarter from the Dixie bundle I didn’t care for.
Quilting it stumped me. I knew I wanted straight lines around the border like piano keys, but what to do for the star? I outlined the center and stitched in the ditch around the white border. Then I just started doing whatever I fancied. Definitely stippling in the white areas in the center, but it would need to be very small and I was working with a new machine. Eek! Practice was called for. I grabbed a scrap sandwich and doodled away. And then I just went for it. The stippling isn’t perfect, but as they say, finished is better than perfect!
Mackie worked like a smooth operator, the only issue was all those layers being sewn together and the binding sewn on and down. And now, the final reveal….
All freshly washed and dried and crinkly as can be. And I LOVE IT!
I need to get a new pillow form, I just stuck an old, flat one in there.