I finally got to Clue #4 after a weekend of wedding festivities and celebrating Christmas with our daughters. I knew I was going to use one of the alternatives for this clue, just needed to decide how difficult I would make it for myself. Let me explain.
I am doing a controlled scrappy version, trying to keep from having the same fabric next to itself. Without knowing the final layout this can be tricky, but the more I mitigate the issue now the better my chances? Since I only had a few browns set aside for this mystery, I was thrown for a loop when the clue was just the one color. No background for this clue. Eek! I quickly searched the stash for more brown and ended up with only 4.
I knew string piecing would not work because there were too few prints to make it interesting. I knew the solid rectangle option could be a possibility, but then it would have been fairly dull. So obviously strip piecing would be the choice.
To make mine as scrappy as possible I charted out options for piecing 4 fabrics together into strip sets. I labeled the fabrics A-D and jumbled their positions within the strips. ABCD, ABDC, BCDA, BCAD, and so on. I cut strips and sewed together subsets of AB, CD, AC, DB, etc. Then I stitched those subsets together in various groupings. I am happy with the results!
Linking with Quiltville Mystery
Since I was already cutting fabric I pulled a group of Moda fabrics and got some strip piecing done using the October mini pattern. I love this fabric pull, Moda Mushrooms!!
Now it’s back to knitting on wedding shawl #2. I would like to gift this at Christmas, since I whiffed on making it for her wedding in March! Plus, it will be perfect with the sweater I bought her for Christmas!!!