No design on the
wall floor because I have a FO!!! I decided to play along with Hands 2 Help this year and make a charity quilt. I had saved some orphan blocks I abandoned in the 1990’s and it was time to put them to good use. I did not want to move them a 3rd time! The block goes by a few names I think, Chick and Hen or Grandmother’s Choice, which is what I call it. I had enough to make two tops by just adding a few more blocks. I made a larger quilt for our local guild charity, here is the post about it. That left the smaller quilt to make. For some reason I thought I made this big enough for Quilty Hugs, but I missed it by 6″!!! Happily it will be perfect for Jack’s Basket.
As always, I had no clue how to quilt this. I thought about diagonal lines from the center out in 4 quadrants, however I just started sewing around the block units in the ditch. I ended up outlining all but the corner squares. I just couldn’t figure out a path without a bunch of over stitching. For the border I was thinking about creating a plaid effect, but it wasn’t really necessary since it’s already a PLAID! LOL. I just eyeballed a diamond shape by going point to point on the plaid. Worked fine until the corners, each one has it’s own charm. LOL! But not a diamond in even 1 of them. Oh well, It’s the comfort, not perfection we are going for. To make it durable I machine stitched the binding down. I am not sold on that method, but it’s more secure than hand tacking. I worked on this all Saturday in between bouts with this visitor!
And now I am on to other things and new beginnings! But more about that tomorrow.