So, it was a race to the finish on this one. I had put off quilting it due to some neck/shoulder issues. The quilting didn’t cause them, but sure wasn’t helping them! Tugging a throw sized quilt through a domestic is hard! Which is why I bought a Mid Arm!!! I am getting an Amara on a 5 foot frame from a local shop. It’s their demo, so it’s not brand spanking new, but I get all the warranty work and service with it! But now, Orange.
A few years ago I saw the pattern Urban Amish, a Double 9 Patch pattern, and knew I would make it. I had some gorgeous distressed orange fabric for the background and lots of green shades for the 9 patches. It was meant to be. I worked on the piecing and by the end May 2018 it was a flimsy. Sorry for the difference in colors throughout the post!
And then it sat for a long time! I put it on the UFO chart for 2020 and in September it’s number was drawn. I tried to get it done, but a last minute trip to Colorado stalled the quilting. But once home I realized, I needed this done for the TGIFF I am hosting today! Eek! So I powered through the quilting and got it done, Whew! It was a long and arduous journey, but one I am very proud to have completed. Even if there’s a ton of bobbles and wobbles and mess-ups in the quilting! LOL, no one will know unless they view it from a close distance.
I started by sewing diagonals through the 9 Patch blocks. Then I went back with a 4 in 1 ruler and did the curves. I was loosely playing along with Natalie Bonner’s 9 Patch QAL. But what to do with the plain blocks? Hmm, not sure, but knowing my love for Cross-hatching, I was sure it would be crossed. I just need to decide curved or straight. I really wanted curved, but that doesn’t work in square. Unless, you reverse the curve halfway across the square! So I did. And of course curved cross-hatch in the setting triangles happened. I don’t like how I handled the corner triangles this time, but that’s OK, they will be the least seen portion of the top.
Once that was all done I only needed a border design. Back to Natalie Bonner and a video she did with swags and piano keys!
And before the clock struck midnight, OK, so it was really 2:00 pm on Thursday, the binding was stitched and the finished quilt was ready for a Fall photo shoot at our weekend campsite!
But alas, there was no sunshine when we arrived, so this is the best I could do, in our tent. I plan to update the photos as soon as the sun shines!
Come Join the party!